Summary of Current Nuclear Projects
The following list was compiled by Academy staff based on publicly available information.
Please direct comments to:
American Academy of Arts and Sciences
Global Nuclear Future Initiative on security implications of nuclear energy growth.
- Arms Control
Publishes Arms Control Today, resources on website, advocacy.
- Arms Control,
Disarmament and International Security, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Focus on nonproliferation, biosecurity, South Asia. Hosts visiting scholars and
publishes research. Participates in the U.S. Air Force National Defense Fellows
- British-American Security Information Council
Focuses on transatlantic security and arms control issues.
- Brookings Institution
Resources on website, weekly email bulletin, publishes books and articles. Several
- Carnegie Endowment for International Peace
Hosts annual International Nonproliferation Conference. Publishes twice-weekly email
bulletin and maintains website. Several resident scholars.
- Center for Arms Control and Nonproliferation
Originally sister organization of Council for a Livable World. Blogs, Youtube and
podcasts on current issues.
- Center for Defense Information
Provides a compendium of news sources on its website. Special expertise on the Reliable
- Center for International Security and Cooperation, Stanford University
Research on the future of the NPT regime, scholarship and policy work on intelligence,
- Center for International and Security Studies at Maryland
Nuclear Past, Present and Future Project publishes working papers. Affiliated Program
on International Policy Attitudes conducts opinion research.
- Center for International Trade and Security, University of Georgia
Focus on export controls and nonproliferation.
- Center for a New American Security
Project on Iran hosts discussions on alternative strategies for dealing with Iran’s
nuclear program. Also has energy security project.
- Center on International Cooperation at New York University
Analyzes how the international system handles threats posed by nuclear and other weapons of mass destruction and develops recommendations for strengthening those efforts.
- Center for Strategic and International Studies: International Security Program
Restoring the International Nonproliferation Consensus Project (three year study).
Proliferation Prevention Forum provides briefings to Congresspersons and their staffs.
- Council on Foreign Relations
Analysis on current issues including proliferation hot spots. Email bulletin.
- East-West Institute
Has recently convened a series of meetings between teams of US and Russian scientists to examine Iran’s nuclear capabilities.
- Federation of American Scientists: The Nuclear Information Project
Provides the public with information and analysis based on technical research.
- Global Security Institute
Founded by Senator Alan Cranston. Focused on a Nuclear Weapons Convention. Has four
programs: the Bipartisan Security Group, Disarmament & Peace Education, Middle Powers
Initiative and Parliamentarians for Nuclear Non-proliferation and Disarmament.
- Institute for Science and International Security
Technical assessments of proliferant state efforts to get nuclear weapons.
- Institute of Nuclear Materials Management
Documents best practices in risk management, physical protection and materials control.
- International Security Program, Belfer Center, Harvard University
Hosts fellows and several resident scholars. Publishes International Security.
- Managing the Atom, Belfer Center, Harvard University
Current research focuses on reducing the risk of nuclear and radiological terrorism,
nuclear nonproliferation, improving the safety and security of nuclear energy.
- MIT: Center for Advanced Nuclear Energy Systems
Methods for the design, operation and regulation of current and advanced nuclear
reactors and fuel cycles.
- MIT: Science Technology and Global Security Working Group
Technical analyses, including multinational enrichment, nuclear fuel cycle, techinical issues underlying nuclear disarmament and proliferation.
- Monterey Institute of International Studies: James Martin Center for Nonproliferation Studies
Graduate education and research on nonproliferation issues. Publishes Nonproliferation
Review and online inventory of treaties and agreements.
- National Resources Defense Council: Nuclear Energy, Waste, & Weapons
Conducts research on nuclear weapons, waste and energy. Funded mainly by membership.
- National Security Archive, George Washington University
Nuclear Documentation Project publishes electronic briefing books with U.S. government
- Nautilus Institute
Focus on U.S. policy in the Far East.
- New America Foundation: American Strategy Program
Nuclear Strategy & Nonproliferation Initiative aims to provide nuclear guidance,
crafted by a ten-person bipartisan steering committee, to the new administration.
- New America Foundation: Geopolitics of Energy
Studies energy security as a foreign policy issue.
- Nonproliferation Policy Education Center
Generates technical and political analysis, with a focus on Pakistan, Russia, and
nuclear energy for electricity.
- Nuclear Age Peace Foundation
Turn the Tide campaign online works to mobilize U.S. citizens and influence government
- Nuclear Energy Institute
Policy organization of the nuclear energy and technologies industry.
- Nuclear Security Project
Focus on reducing nuclear dangers and ultimately abolishing nuclear weapons.
- Nuclear Security Science and Policy Institute, Texas A&M University
Works with national lab and other partners to develop technological solutions to
nuclear security problems. Conducts research, educates students, hosts seminars
and workshops and provides direct support to DOE programs.
- Nuclear Threat Initiative
Goal is to reduce the global threats from nuclear, biological and chemical weapons.
Currently Secretariat for the Nuclear Security Project led by Kissinger, Nunn, Perry
and Shultz. Publishes Global Security Newswire.
- Pacific Northwest Center for Global Security
Established by Pacific Northwest National Laboratory. Studies ways to reduce weapons,
stockpiles and production capabilities, and to foster multilateral public-private
Princeton Environmental Institute
Research activities focus on identifying technologies and technology strategies
and policies that could facilitate solutions for the long term of major energy-related
societal problems, including global climate change, urban air pollution, energy-import
dependence, the risk of nuclear weapons proliferation, and poverty in developing
- Program on Science and Global Security, Woodrow Wilson School, Princeton University
Research on developing the technical bases for new nuclear arms control and nonproliferation
- Sam Nunn School, Georgia Institute of Technology
Focus on nuclear fuel cycle assurances and verification, strengthening the NPT,
and North Korea
- Science, Technology and Public Policy Program, Belfer Center, Harvard University
Energy Technology Innovation Policy focuses on cleaner energy, including nuclear
- Stimson (Henry
Studies nuclear weapons and nonproliferation; regional focus on East and South Asia.
Hosts briefing series for Congressional audiences.
- Union of Concerned
Advocacy, commissions technical research, provides testimony to Congress and commissions,
on both nuclear power and nuclear weapons.
Institute of Nuclear Systems, University of Wisconsin
Technical research on nuclear systems engineering issues, including Generation IV
Project on Nuclear Arms Control
Research and advocacy; focus on export controls.
Back to Global Nuclear Future
Back to Science, Technology, and Global Security