- Work closely with the Associate Director of Development, Director of the Annual Fund and Chief Advancement Officer on data requests and the management of daily gift processing.
- Assume primary responsibility for day-to-day management of departmental databases, including creating queries, exporting and importing data, and creating data files to produce mail and email solicitations.
- Assume primary responsibility for day-to-day management of gift processing, tracking and reporting, including managing the pledge payment system and tracking acknowledgment and receipt status for all gifts and pledges.
- Ensure accurate recording in donor records of all correspondence and actions with donors and prospects (individuals and institutions).
- Work closely with the Finance Department to reconcile all gifts and grants.
- Manage and update campaign tracking report, record all gifts and pledges.
- Produce annual donor roster and other donor lists. Manage system for recording donor recognition preference and gift types.
- Assist with the production of a range of development materials, including correspondence for donors and prospects, stewardship and solicitation materials, proposals and reports, and briefing materials.
- Prepare materials for Development Committee meetings.
- Support the coordination and implementation of Development Department events and meetings.
- Manage CAO’s calendar and travel arrangements.
- Provide operational and technical support for Development Department.
- Associates Degree required.
- At least one year of office administrative experience. Development experience preferred.
- Superior written communication skills.
- Strong editing and proofreading skills.
- Very high attention to detail; curiosity and problem-solving skills; initiative and follow-through on projects.
- Ability to learn quickly, prioritize, and work accurately and proactively with little supervision.
- Strong administrative and organizational skills, with an emphasis on time management and the ability to plan, organize and implement numerous projects simultaneously.
- Ability to anticipate data needs and think creatively.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Word), Adobe Acrobat, various document processing and database applications and querying.
- Database experience required, Raiser’s Edge and Salesforce preferred.
- Understanding of how to deal properly with confidential or sensitive information.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
Commitment to Diversity:
The American Academy is committed to the diversity of its staff and membership. As a scholarly organization and research center, the Academy recognizes that diversity of thought, class, experience, sex, gender, race, physical or mental ability, age, religion, national origin, and sexual orientation is a value to uphold and is central to the mission and work of the organization. A more pluralistic staff embracing diversity of thought, approach and life experience fosters a more nuanced understanding of contemporary issues facing the nation and the world. Working together in a climate of respect and openness models the civil discourse that is fundamental to the work of the Academy.
About the Academy
The Academy membership encompasses over 5,600 members and reflects the full range of disciplines and professions: math and physical sciences, biological sciences, the social sciences, humanities and the arts, journalism, business and philanthropic leaders, educational, scientific, and cultural administrators as well as public affairs and public policy.