Director of Major Gifts
- Working with the Chief Advancement Officer, set short- and long-term strategies for the department and for major gift prospects and donors.
- Identify opportunities for stewardship and engagement. Manage prospect tracking for President, Development and Communications Committee, Program Directors, and Chief Advancement Officer.
- Provide coordination and support for the President’s development activities including identifying priorities for engagement.
- Assume primary responsibility for incorporating development strategy into presidential briefings for individuals.
- Oversee the flow of materials to and from the President’s Office.
- Draft and edit major gifts solicitations, acknowledgments, commitment letters, and stewardship materials.
- Draft presidential correspondence for donors and prospects.
- Build strong relationships with the Academy’s program staff and stay abreast of current Academy work.
- Review lists of participants in Academy meetings and identify opportunities for stewardship and engagement.
- Work with the Chief Advancement Officer to create a supportive and high-achieving work environment.
- Motivate staff members to develop professionally and achieve success in their positions.
- Work collaboratively with and directly supervise the Development Associate.
- In collaboration with the Chief Advancement Officer, co-manage the Associate Director of Development—Director of the Annual Fund and the Associate Director of Development—Director of Corporate and Foundation Relations.
- Oversee the agenda and preparation of materials for the internal development meetings and for meetings with project teams.
- May manage a small portfolio of individual donors for cultivation and for major gift and leadership-level annual fund prospects.
- Other duties as assigned. Some travel may be necessary.
- 8-10 years of experience, ideally in an academic or non-profit setting; 3-5 years of front-line fundraising experience preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Experience working with major gift donors and high-level volunteers.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills as well as the ability to rapidly comprehend and communicate complex information.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and assign priority to key tasks. Ability to think strategically as well as operationally.
- Track record of building strong internal and external relationships.
- Computer literate and fluent in PC use of Microsoft Office, Excel, and Raiser’s Edge (or equivalent database).