Morton L. Mandel Presidential Fellow: Communications Specialist
- Develop and execute communication strategies to advance the public’s knowledge of the Academy’s mission and work.
- Work with Academy colleagues to create content that highlights the work and mission of the Academy and can be shared on various platforms.
- Develop media outreach plans to increase media coverage of the Academy’s work by helping to determine key audiences and recommending strategies to reach these audiences.
- Create content – from press releases to tweets to articles and videos – that helps Academy research and recommendations engage through a variety of channels.
- Support the promotion and distribution of recommendations and findings from Academy projects, commissions, and publications – as well as Academy events.
- Coordinate on outreach efforts that include traditional media as well as with organizations, online communities, social media and other opportunities to expand awareness for the Academy.
- Grow and maintain the Academy’s media list; develop targeted outreach for Academy projects and events.
The successful applicant will have:
- A bachelor’s degree in a writing-intensive field (English/history or other social science/humanities discipline, journalism, communications, or marketing).
- 2-3 years of relevant experience in communications, journalism, media relations, or public relations, ideally in academic, cultural, or scientific institutions.
- Proven success in pitching stories and/or generating content.
- Prowess in print and digital communications.
- Examples of their work that can be submitted as part of their application.
- Be curious about a wide range of subjects and demonstrate a respect for scholarly efforts and expertise.
- Strong writing, editing, proofreading, and organizational skills
- Ability to work effectively independently, and as part of a team.
- Proficiency in standard applications (Office, Google Docs, Facebook, Twitter, HootSuite) and facility in learning new ones (Pardot, Salesforce); experience working with media databases is preferred.