Click here to view highlights from the weekend (Video 4 min.) To
access video and audio of presentations, please click individual panels.
Saturday, February 28, 2009
Introduction and Welcome (Location: Microsoft)
- Emilio Bizzi, Institute Professor, Massachusetts Institute of Technology; President,
American Academy of Arts & Sciences
- Jesse H. Choper, Earl Warren Professor of Public Law at the UC Berkeley School of
Law; Chair of the Western Region and Vice President of the American Academy of Arts
- Leslie Berlowitz, Chief Executive Officer, American Academy of Arts & Sciences
- C. Gordon Bell, Principal Researcher, Microsoft Research
Information Technology & Democracy: Puamityblic Discourse, Electoral Politics,
and Governance (Location: Microsoft)
- Edward D. Lazowska, Bill & Melinda Gates Chair in Computer Science and Engineering,
University of Washington
- Joshua Cohen, Marta Sutton Weeks Professor of Ethics in Society, Professor of Political
Science, Philosophy, and Law, Stanford University
- Henry Brady, Class of 1941 Monroe Deutsch Professor of Political Science and Public
Policy, University of California, Berkeley
- Edward Felten, Professor of Computer Science and Public Affairs, Princeton University
Alternative Futures of the Internet: Fears & Optimism (Location:
- David Clark, Senior Research Scientist, MIT Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence
- Hal R. Varian, Chief Economist, Google Inc.
- Cynthia Dwork, Principal Researcher, Microsoft Research
- Jonathan Zittrain, Professor of Law and Co-Founder of the Berkman Center for Internet
& Society, Harvard Law School
Creative Arts: New Tools and Technology & the Democratization of Craft
- Moderator: Pat Hanrahan, Canon USA Professor, Computer Graphics Laboratory, Stanford
- Panelists: Charles Geschke, Co-Chairman of the Board, Adobe Systems Inc.
- Dale Dougherty, General Manager, Maker Media, O’Reilly Media Inc.
- Carl Rosendahl, faculty member, Carnegie Mellon Entertainment Technology Center;
founder and former President, Pacific Data Images
- Jonathan Berger, Billie Bennett Achilles Professor of Music and founding Co-Director
of the Stanford Institute for Creativity and the Arts, Stanford University
Digital Transformers (Location: Google)
- Moderator: John L. Hennessy, President, Stanford University
- Panelists: Butler Lampson, Technical Fellow, Microsoft Inc.
- Irwin Jacobs, Chairman and Former CEO, Qualcomm Inc.
- Vinton Cerf, Vice President and Chief Internet Evangelist, Google Inc.
Sunday, March 1, 2009
Information Technology & the Future of Books, Publishing, and Libraries
(Location: Computer History Museum)
- Moderator: Edward Feigenbaum, Kumagai Professor in the School of Engineering, Emeritus,
- Panelists: Daniel J. Clancy, Engineering Director, Google Book Search Project
- John Hollar, President and CEO, Computer History Museum
- John Warnock, Co-Chairman of the Board, Adobe Systems Inc.
- Michael A. Keller, University Librarian, Stanford University
- Donald A. B. Lindberg, Director, National Library of Medicine
- Daniel L. Goroff, Program Director, Alfred P. Sloan Foundation and Harvey Mudd College