The Academy's Values
As members, staff, and the broader Academy community, we commit to advancing the following values in all aspects of our work.
ADVANCING THE COMMON GOOD
- We consider the impact of our actions on each other and the larger community.
- We tackle complex issues in pursuit of positive impact even when doing so is challenging.
UPHOLDING DEMOCRATIC IDEALS
- We create meaningful opportunities for participation.
- We recognize that we are all part of the Academy community, and we are at our best when we all contribute.
ELEVATING THE USE OF EVIDENCE AND KNOWLEDGE
- We pursue and encourage the discovery and development of knowledge from many different sources.
- We use evidence to guide our actions.
FOSTERING DELIBERATIVE DISCOURSE
- We practice active listening so that we understand and utilize multiple perspectives in our work.
- We foster an environment of psychological safety so that we can collaborate openly and honestly.
- We actively guard against ideological bias so that we can pursue our mission with integrity, purpose, and humility.
- We prioritize the credibility of our work, rooted in the Academy’s political nonalignment and independence from other institutional ties or individual agendas.
EMBRACING DIVERSITY AND INCLUSIVITY
- We build and nurture a community of individuals with diverse backgrounds, life experiences, and perspectives, where everyone has an equal opportunity to be heard and to contribute.
- We actively engage with one another with dignity, compassion, and empathy, valuing diversity in all its forms.
- We achieve our best results through collaboration, holding each other accountable, learning from our failures and mistakes, and recognizing our successes large and small.
- We honor passion, dedication, grit, creativity, and joy as part of the process of pursuing excellence.