Branches from the Same Tree: Conversations on the Integration of Arts, Humanities, and STEM in Higher Education
The American Academy of the Arts and Sciences invites community leaders, researchers, and faculty and administrators from across New England to participate in a day of dialogue and exploration of the integration of the humanities and arts with sciences, engineering, and medicine at the undergraduate and graduate level.
This conversation is convened in partnership with the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine as part of a national series of events structured around their 2018 report on integrative education that contributes to workforce readiness and active civic engagement.
The day's robust agenda includes:
- Keynote address from Lynn Pasquerella, president of the Association of American Colleges & Universities
- Panel discussion on the future of integrating arts and humanities in the sciences in higher education with panelists
- Francisco Alarcon, Computational Artist in residence, BU Arts Initiative and BU Spark!
- Sarah Cunningham, Rhode Island School of Design
- Leila Kinney, Executive Director of Arts Initiatives, MIT Center for Art, Science & Technology (CAST)
- and moderator Bonnie Thornton Dill, Dean of the College of Arts and Humanities and professor of Women’s Studies, University of Maryland
- Lightning Talks by
- Sari Altschuler, Associate Professor of English, Northeastern University; Associate Director, Northeastern Humanities Center
- Sunil Iyengar, Director of Research, National Endowment for the Arts
- Ilya Vidrin, Dancer and Researcher
- Breakout discussions across disciplines
- A theatrical performance by the Catalyst Collaborative @MIT