Program Director for Education
Major Areas of Responsibility Include:
- Work collaboratively with Academy members, committee members, partner organizations, and Academy staff to ensure the success of projects within their portfolio, to carry out policy initiatives, and to identify and develop new projects;
- Marshal and steward the creative and intellectual resources of Academy stakeholders and staff;
- Oversee the organization of project workshops and symposia and help produce programmatic content for these and other Academy events, including Stated Meetings;
- Maintain general administrative oversight of all projects within their assigned area(s);
- Develop programs for the Academy’s network of affiliate universities
- Supervise staff working in the program area; define responsibilities, motivate staff, and foster professional development of individual staff members;
- Work with the Academy leadership and communications team to raise the visibility of Academy studies, including through institutional partnerships;
- Oversee communications among committee/panel members, staff, consultants, and other applicable parties;
- Usher projects through approval and oversight by governance and committees;
- Work with Finance to develop and track budgets for program area and individual project(s) within the portfolio;
- Facilitate discussions with Academy members, Academy leadership, and other experts to identify and design new initiatives within their assigned area(s);
- Supervise background research related to Academy projects;
- Work with Development Office to write grant proposals and assist in fundraising for new studies and ongoing stewardship of project donors;
- Supervise the design of workshops, committee meetings, conferences, and exploratory meetings.
- Develop background research and draft reports for internal project use as well as final publication including proceedings, white papers. Draft and edit materials for publication;
- Contribute to the drafting and dissemination of formal reports conveying the conclusions and recommendations from Academy project;
- Work with the Academy’s Communications team and the Director of Strategic Implementation to develop strategies to communicate the findings and recommendations within reports to external audiences;
- Other responsibilities as needed.
- Ph.D. in a field related to the program area;
- Five to seven years of project management and/or administrative experience, ideally at a university, foundation, learned society, think tank, or other non-profit organization;
- Deep research experience and excellent written and oral communications skills, including an ability to synthesize and summarize research findings and recommendations to a variety of audiences;
- General knowledge of the policy-making process and relevant policy issues, including existing research programs, policy and program interventions, and experts and key players in the field for the associated subject matter;
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse constituencies and stakeholders and a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace;
- Strong leadership skills and ability to work collaboratively and effectively in a team environment and to mentor and develop direct reports.
- Experience working with senior faculty, university presidents, business and non-profit executives, government officials, international stakeholders, and policy leaders.
- Experience advising executive staff on strategic matters.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively engage with a wide variety of internal and external groups including funders; academic, policy, and research institutions; and other potential partners;
- Successful grant writing experience and familiarity with private foundations and other funding sources.